Wednesday, October 8, 2014

LIFE DRAWING Sol Art: Willow Charcoal

So this week working with a medium I'm a bit more familiar with, yet everytime I use willow charcoal I find new ways to use it. The cool thing about it is that it is smooth as butter on printpaper, and you can just wipe off the charcoal dust so no need for an eraser. Downside is that your drawing is half smudged by the time you go home to scan your work :P

Really great session, regardless of any results I totally enjoyed every pose the model took and willow charcoal was a joy to work with, I'm going to have to put it into my top 5 medium to use for gestures.

I normally start with posting the short poses, but I really liked some of the longer poses, so here are my favorites:


Alrighty, on to the quick 1 minute poses!






Now some longer poses, these range between 10 - 25 minute poses, but in most cases I finish them early since the medium doesnlt really allow for extreme detail.
 Like the case below I did a slow study and then a quick gestural one:

 Below is he same pose done with willow charcoal and then with a B4 pencil. I think for poses like that you need to almost measure things out to get the proportions right, I just kind of let the pencil flow..it's not horribly out of proportion.
 And below is another gestural drawing from the long pose I posted on top of this post. Great pose, great angle..really hope to see this model more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment